Meteorological sensor basics
Learn what is important when choosing a weather sensor and why. Differences between sensor technologies are not always obvious and here we aim to show you the difference. It is not our aim to sell you sensors, here we aim to help you choose the best sensor for your job.
Wind Speed Accuracy
How important is wind speed and wind direction accuracy for meteorology, climatology and in wind and solar renewable energy applications? Do industrial and safety applications have special requirements than cannot be met by meteorological sensors? Lets take a look at each application and find out why not all wind sensors are created equal and how to get the best wind data from your limted budget.
Air Temperature Accuracy
Requirements for better than 0.5 °C (1 °F) accuracy from your temperature sensor drive sensor costs up. Stability of measurement over a wide temperature range as found in many continental climates or accuracy in temperature extremes near the equator or the poles are also cost drivers. Getting these cost drivers under control is not always straight forward. Lets take a look at how the requirements in your application can be used to your advange.
Sun Measurement Accuracy
Choice of sun sensor strongly depends on your application. Life-cycle cost-effectiveness needs to consider factors such as maintenance and hidden costs of bad or missing data. Just like cars, solar sensors need to be cleaned to keep functioning properly and maintainability is something one needs to consider in your budget from the onset. So lets see what are the important considerations for your application.
Knowledge base links to old BARANI DESIGN website
About weather forecasting
- The value of an accurate weather station
- Weather Station Basics
- Wireless Weather Stations
- What is an anemometer (Other languages: Arabic)
- Elliptical Anemometer Advantage
- Anemometer & Weather Station Placement Guide
- Anemometer Accuracy
- Your personal weather station
- The Real Difference between Wind and Solar Energy
- Financial efficiency of wind energy
- Can I trust my sensor?
- Wind measurement error and financial impact
- The real cost of wind energy predictions
- 10 costliest wind energy prediction mistakes
- Can you trust a wind turbine dealer?
- Wind Maps or pretty pictures?
- Its not all about wind measurement accuracy!
- Weather instrument lighting protection
- What impact energy from hail stone should meteorological instruments be able to survive?
- Advantages and disadvantages of wind power