Proven in the field to be long lasting & reliable
3rd generation of the Elliptic Anemometer offering the advantages of elliptical cups. Redesigned for tough environments with an all-metal body, dual arm cups and oversize ball bearings, it brings a new level of reliability and dirt resistance to operations in tough environments like winter road weather stations and coastal environements.
Very low start speeds, fast response and accurate long-term wind data are their inherent benefits of elliptic cups including resistance to snow accumulation in winter cold winter climates. Combined with an all metal wind vane, it offers a superb value compared to separate anemometer & wind vane installations.
- Robust and durable with easy mounting
- Low starting wind speed and long-term reliability
- Excellent for dirty environments like winter road management
- A good value compared to separate anemometers & wind vanes
MODBUS communication Quick Start Guide and Starter Kit info for simple digital sensor integration:
UNIQUE FEATURES & BENEFITS
Winter road maintenace weather stations
Years of use in road weather stations in Central Europe and the Alps have verified this sensor's reliability. Tough roadside weather station conditions expose the sensors to corrosive wet and salty environment with large amounts of dirt, dust and water spray.
ISO 9001 reliability
Each MeteoWind is individually tested. We rely on strict quality ISO-9001 guidelines to maintain high production quality and sensor reliability.
Dusty field conditions in agriculture
The dusty environment in agriculture exposes weather sensors to a variety of year round conditions. Bearing protection from dust and dirt is essential since anemometers get exposed to significant amounts of dirt and dust during planting and harvest, when meteorological data is most important.
All weather reliability
Industrial level lightning resistance is guaranteed by the triple-level lightning, EMI, ESD, Surge and transient protection, ensuring reliable operation in all-weather conditions. Constructed from anodized aluminum for corrosion resistance with stainless steel ball bearings. The fiber reinforced plastic (FRP) anemometer cups with their patented elliptical shape offer very good strength and all-weather accuracy and significantly reduce snow buildup in winter weather compared to conical and circular cup anemometers.
Simplify your installations
Single point mounting system of MeteoWind 1 with an IP67 connector bayonet connector protected inside the Ø20mm stainless steel tube mount offers superb electrical reliability and allows for quick and easy installations to same technical crews time. Additionally, MeteoWind anemometers also feature serviceable rotor cups & main bearing.
Increase data quality with single point measurement
Measuring wind speed and wind direction by a single instrument versus two separate instruments mounted meters apart increases data quality and reduces uncertainty to manageable levels. Higher data quality in turn reduces data analysis time and paints a clearer picture of weather condtions.
WHY ELLIPTIC CUPS ARE BETTER
Elliptical cup shape
Patented elliptical design offers a larger wind blown area than circular and conical cups for higher aerodynamic torque to overcome bearing friction. Result is more consistent anemometer response throughout the complete air temperature range.
- Low starting speeds
- Long-term dirt, dust and sand resistance created by the use of larger bearings which offer long-term measurement stability not effected by dirt
- Reduces effects of rain and snow on anemometer linearity
Elliptical cup cross-section
Aerodynamic stability in all-weather and throughout the complete wind speed range is a result of the elliptical cup cross section. Elliptical cup cross section is a very stable aerodynamic shape.
- High full-scale linearity throughout the whole wind speed range
- Rain and dirt buildup on cups have minimal influence on measurement stability
- Flat elliptic cups reduce ability for snow buildup on anemometer cups
- Superb off-axis response for reliable data in turbulent environments
WIND VANE & SAFETY FEATURES
All metal wind direction vane
Efficient all metal design with superb response rate and good aerodynamic damping to prevent overshoots and reduce wind data noise. Held in place by two oversize stainless steel ball bearings for robustness and dirt resistance.
- Fast response and low rotational inertia
- Low starting wind speed <0.2 m/s
- Long-term dirt, dust and sand resistance created by the use of two oversize bearings for long-term measurement stability and strength
- All-metal construction for strength and long life
Advanced lightning protection
Highest class 3-stage lightning protection against over-voltage, over-current, high speed voltage & current transients and surges gives MeteoWind 1 electrical reliability well in excess of analog output anemometers. RS-485 MODBUS interface adds compatibility with industrial and SCADA systems.
Lightning protection meets the following international standards for industrial equipment safety:
- EMC Emissions according to EN50081-1 / IEC61000-6-1
- EMI Transients according to EN50081-1 / IEC61000-6-2
- SURGE test 4 kV / 2 kA acc.to EN50082-2 / IEC61000-6-2
- ESD 15000 V (15 kV)
The use of 3-stage lightning protection is complemented by the use of RS-485 digital output which has inherently high resistance to interference and is therefore most widely used communication interface in tough industrial environments.
OVERVIEW & TECHNICAL FEATURES
Combined sensor advantage
- Two instruments for the price of one
- Lower power requirements than two separate instruments
- One sensor, one mount - simpler than two mounts for two sensors (anemometer & wind vane)
- Less cable, less connections & less electronics equals higher reliability
- Low starting speed
- Good full-scale linearity
- Very low distance constant with minimal overspeeding
- Rugged all-metal anodized aluminum housing and wind vane
- Tough fiber reinforced cups from FRP material
- Oversize ball bearings for long life, dirt resistance and durability
- Corrosion resistant anodized aluminum body
- Bayonet locking waterproof connector with Silicone o-rings for operation in low -40 °C and high -80 °C temperatures
- Versatile sensor communication interface:
- MODBUS ASCII
- MODBUS RTU
MeteoWind 1 offers reduced cost of ownership and higher reliability compared to separate wind vane & anemometer installations which translates into long-term economic benefits for industrial and weather station operators.